Our work in Thailand
- Supporting recovering drug addicts
- Discipleship and Bible teaching
A kingdom in Asia, Thailand borders Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia. Its capital is Bangkok. The word Thai means “Free Man”, so Thailand is “the land of the free men.”
Thailand has a population of 69.4 million, 17% of whom are under 15 years old. Life expectancy is high at 75 years, and the infant mortality rate is 8.2 per 1000 live births. However, there is a high incidence of HIV/AIDS, and there is poverty, with about 5 million people living below the international poverty line, which means they have less than US$1.90 per day to live on.
The country is beset by big problems. There is heavy pollution of both air and water, affecting the health of the people, and this has not been helped by the corruption which has been endemic in the government. There is a huge drugs problem. One of the drugs of choice in Thailand is Kratom, which is cheap and easily available. There are also problems with addiction to heroin, cannabis, cocaine and other drugs. An estimated 1.3 million people are facing lives of addiction.
We have a drug rehabilitation centre in Thailand that needs support:
- The day to day running costs of the centre need to be met
- We need Bibles for the addicts
- Support and discipleship for those recovering from addiction
- equipment such as fans to combat the extreme heat and humidity
* Yes, I am a UK taxpayer and I agree to World In Need claiming tax on all past, present and future donations I make to the charity. Please treat my donations as Gift Aid donations. By ticking this box I confirm that I am paying or will pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax to cover the amount World In Need and any other charities will reclaim for the tax year. All gift aid will be used where needed most.
Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions or would like to chat about us helping you achieve your mission objectives.